Thursday, June 19, 2014

Estimated Delivery Date

Recently, I ordered something from Amazon. The estimated delivery date they gave me for my order was "Thursday, June 12 - Tuesday, June 17". I received the item on Wednesday, June 11.

Around the same time, I also ordered something on eBay. Estimated delivery date: "Wednesday, June 18 - Saturday, June 28". I received the item on Monday, June 16.

So, to summarize: occasionally, websites such as these give you a wide range of possible delivery dates, which, in theory, should capture all of the possible delivery dates. Except that they don't.

This has to be intentional, right? There are two reasons why Amazon/eBay/etc would intentionally overestimate how long delivery would take: 1) to try to get you to pay for "faster" shipping; and 2) because you'll think more favorably of your Amazon/eBay experience if you receive your order sooner than expected.

The lesson here is, of course, this: never, ever pay for 1-day or 2-day shipping.

No comments: