Friday, June 20, 2014

3rd Annual (Wilmington) Beachspiel: Preview

No better way to celebrate the first day of summer than with curling, right?

This Saturday is the Coastal Carolina Curling Club's 3rd annual "Beachspiel". It's only a two hour drive to the rink in Wilmington, and once again it's just a one day event, which is actually one thing I like about this bonspiel compared to others. I don't have to take any time off work, I'm home by Sunday morning, and I still get my three games. I've gone to the first two Beachspiels, and this Saturday will make number three.

Our teams have done well in the first two Beachspiels - 1st and 2nd overall, respectively - and we're mostly intact for this year's edition. No reason why we can't do it again in 2014...but at some point, this bonspiel will attract a highly skilled team from "up north", one who will totally wipe the floor, right? This year could be that year! Although I have no idea who else will be at this year's Beachspiel or who our opponents might be. (Just as well - I find I'm less stressed going into a bonspiel when I don't know our first opponent going in.)

If we're going to take home any hardware on Saturday, though, I'll have to curl better than I did last Saturday. In last week's two-game "mini-bonspiel", my team finished in 6th place out of 6. Probably would have been 4th had I not missed a take-out for the win with my last shot in Game 2. I won't beat myself up too much for it, because I drew for a single point against two in one end, and I drew for a single point against four in another end...either way, best that I'm not the Skip this weekend. It's back to the relative comfort of Vice for me.

Career game #247: Olympic Day Pointspiel Game 1 - June 14, 2014

End........... 12345678 |TTL
----------------------------
Allen......... 00010020 | 03
Jaun.......... 32101102 | 10

Career game #248: Olympic Day Pointspiel Game 2 - June 14, 2014

End........... 12345678 |TTL
----------------------------
Allen......... 10111000 | 04
Franklin...... 01000211 | 05

No comments: