Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Co-ed Kickball: Season 8 Recap

(As some of you know, our house was broken into yesterday. But I don't really want to talk about that. Not yet. Let's talk about kickball instead.)

So...when I wrote my kickball season preview, I wondered how long it would take for the league to get stale and/or for some of the teams to stop showing up, given that there were a record-low three teams total in the Knightdale co-ed kickball league this season, and that there was a considerable gap in talent between those teams.

First, let's get this statistic out of the way. Excluding forfeits, we lost all six games we played against the eventual champions, and conversely, we won all six games we played against the eventual last place team. So when I talk about the "wide gap in talent" between the teams...yeah. The outcomes were a bit predictable. This was a bit like having a football conference made up of Florida State, Louisiana-Monroe, and a Division III school. In this analogy, we were Louisiana-Monroe: we'll always beat the D-III school, and on a good day we might beat Florida State...but most of the time, no.

Sometime in mid-April - maybe halfway through the season - I fought through I-540 traffic to make the 7 pm start, only to find that just four people - four people - bothered to show up. (This was the last place team I'm talking about.) At that point, I wondered...is this it? Have they given it up? Thankfully, no - they did field full (enough) rosters the rest of the way. Give them credit for sticking with it. I've never been part of an 0-12 season, but then again, there were also many more teams (and just as importantly, many more inexperienced teams) back when we joined eight seasons ago.

Two of our six games against the better team, including the championship game, were actually pretty close. As in, within a run or two. But those were nearly perfectly played games by us...and, we still lost. No shame, though.

Season batting (8 games): 18 H in 26 AB (.692), 3 RBI, 12 R, 4 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 0 BB, 0 K

I had a pretty good season offensively. That .692 average is pretty close to my career average, which is .700. But 12 runs in one season is a career high, and I also got my first triple (two of them!) and my first home run this season. That home run was pretty awesome. (Basically, the way someone like me - who bunts almost all of the time - gets a triple or a home run is if the throw to first is way off. Like, waaaaaaaaaay off. And no, there are no scored errors in kickball, as far as I'm concerned.) For me personally, the home run is the highlight of the season.

Season pitching (8 starts): 4-4 record, 4.36 ERA (31 ER in 64.0 IP), 1 K, 1 BB (1 IBB)

Strikeouts are pretty rare anymore with the smaller strike zone, but hey, I got one! And despite playing half of our games against team that's quite a bit better than we are, I did lower my career ERA a notch or two this season (from 4.99 to 4.91).

As far as whether this is "it" or not...I have a hard time predicting these things, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any interest in participating in another 3-team kickball league. I did enjoy playing again, but there's gotta be something better out there, right?

No comments: