Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Pregnancy Secret

Amber announced this on Facebook a week or two ago, but we're expecting child number two in late August. Hooray! (We asked Marla if she wanted a little brother or sister. She said, "No." Sorry, Marla!)

Obviously, we've known for a while. A couple of months, I think. So why didn't we tell anyone? Why is it that when people announce a pregnancy to the general public, it's usually not until the pregnancy is two or three months in, maybe even longer? Well...as far as we're concerned, I leave Amber completely in charge of this, because she's the one carrying the baby. Miscarriages are more common in the first trimester than they are thereafter (so I'm told), so you don't want to go through the process of announcing, only to have to again announce later on that, well, it didn't work out.

So, that basically means keeping it a secret for up to two months. Much easier for me to do than it is for Amber, because when someone asks Amber why exactly she doesn't feel well, or hasn't been running lately...what does she say? She doesn't like lying. Sometimes, she just had to spill the beans. I mean, some people - especially those who have been through this themselves - are probably going to figure it out on their own anyway. They know the signs. I know I've "figured it out" with some of my friends before they publicly announced, too. (Although, I have also been guilty of guessing "you think she's pregnant?" incorrectly.)

Anyway, I just think it's a funny quirk of the way our society works, the timing and presentation of pregnancy announcements and whatnot. If all goes as planned, this will be last time we go through this. After kid number two, we're pulling the plug on the baby making machine.

By the way, I think we're going to want to know the gender of kid number two as soon as it becomes available, rather than making it a surprise at birth like it was with Marla. But again, that's Amber's call.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Congrats! I'm due on 8/8! We waited to announce until 13 weeks due to a previous miscarriage. I couldn't have waited any longer, though I know some that do. My coworkers were starting to catch on that I "always looked like I was going to pass out" haha! Happy for you guys!