Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dishwasher Detergent

Let's talk about dishwasher detergent! Because, why not.

Back in the day, I used the powdery stuff in my dishwasher. Then, I found that the powdery stuff would leave a residue in the spot where it goes in the dishwasher. At least, it does in our dishwasher. So, I switched to gel stuff:


I think the gel stuff works reasonably well, as long as you use a name brand. I haven't found similar success with store brands, and I've tried both Kroger and Target (both of which have a generally good lineup of store-brand products, except for dishwasher detergent, apparently). There was a noticeable difference in cleaning quality, and the condition of the dishwasher afterwards, when using store brand detergent.

But more recently, I read a Consumer Reports article about dishwasher detergent. They actually recommended these individually wrapped "powerball tab" things, which I had never heard of before, because it's not like I spend a lot of time browsing the cleaning aisle at the grocery store each week.


Consumer Reports gave these their highest recommendation, saying that these things are just as effective as the Cascade gel (if not more), and are cheaper per use. Sounds good to me!

I've been using the Finish(R) Powerballs(TM) for a few weeks now, and I'm sold. No more Cascade for me, probably! Gotta keep these things out of the reach of children, though, because admittedly, they look kind of tasty.

By the way, Consumer Reports is basically the best magazine ever. It's the only magazine I subscribe to.

No comments: