Wednesday, August 14, 2013

2013 GNCC Arena Club Championship: Preview

I didn't have a lot of time to write a really long and detailed preview like this, so I'm just going to hit the high points here:

Every year, the GNCC (that's the Grand National Curling Club, a consortium of all curling clubs on the East Coast, including ours) hosts something called the "GNCC Arena Club Championship", contested among clubs who do not (yet) have their own dedicated curling ice, and instead curl on rented hockey ice.

I last participated in the GNCCACCs (that's an acronym I just made up, by the way; remember, I'm trying to keep this short) in 2011, when we (the Triangle Curling Club) hosted it. My team did well, winning the second event, and getting our names on a bulldog trophy.

We may not be an arena club much longer, so I made it a point to go back to the GNCCACCs this year. The 2013 GNCCACCs start this Friday, hosted by the Bucks County Curling Club in Warminster, PA (northern Philadelphia suburbs). For those who know our club, my team is Chris J., me, Bill Y., and Wyatt P.

And, I think we're good enough to go all the way! Well, probably not ALL the way, really. I believe Bucks County are the defending champions of the GNCCACC, and since they're hosting, one would assume the defending champion team will be back this year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they're probably quite a bit better at curling than we are. Nevertheless, I think this is best opportunity yet to accomplish my goal if curling in the last draw of an away bonspiel for the first time.

So, should be fun! Go us!

No comments: