Monday, March 25, 2013

Co-ed Kickball Season 7: (Sort Of) Preview

Hard to believe I've been doing this kickball thing for over three years now. Wow! (Actually, it's not hard to believe, given that I'm an obsessive stat tracker and all.)

I normally write a kickball preview, you know, before the season begins. I didn't do that this time, because I couldn't think of anything interesting to preview. The rules are the same, the teams are all returning teams (although one of the five didn't return, leaving us with four), and, well, we know how this works by now. I don't preview the curling season, so why should I preview the kickball season?

Well, we're two games in, so now I have something to talk about! We're 1-1, and that's about right.

This certainly won't be our team's worst ever season - I mean, we've come a long way - but as for me, it looks like this season is when my bunt-dependent offensive numbers will finally take a hit. Every team is a returning team, they all have the scouting report on me, so I'm not going to start the season 8-for-10 or something like that. In fact, two games in, I'm 2-for-5 at the plate. Uh oh. (But do have a walk on top of that, and I have come around to score all three times I reached base safely.)

But hey, there's a lot less pressure when you're the defending champions. Now, it's back to just being another team. When we win, great! When we don't, well, no need to get our panties in a wad over it.

Speaking of which...I didn't get a good look at it, but in the game prior to ours on Wednesday night, there was a bit of a physical altercation, both on the field and in the parking lot afterwards. Let me just get this out there: if our team ever becomes the type to play dirty and get into fights and such, then I'm going to go find something else to do.

So, yeah, the novelty of playing co-ed kickball has worn off a bit, but it's still fun. And although my defense left a lot to be desired on Wednesday, I think I'm still a decent pitcher, too. (Two strikeouts in two games!)

No comments: