Monday, January 14, 2013

License Plate Registration Stickers: 2014 Edition

The post-Christmas season - a.k.a. January - is always kind of a letdown. So thank goodness for the debut of a new year of North Carolina license plate registration stickers!

I blog about this every year, but to recap: In North Carolina, the license plate registration stickers are a different color every year. Other than the fact that colors are never used twice in a three-year span, I haven't detected a pattern yet. And that's what makes this so exciting!

Back in the day, Florida had a four-year rotation with their sticker colors: green, red, blue, and yellow. (I think that was the actual order, too, with the greens falling on the divisible-by-4 years.) It always followed the same order, and while colorful, it was kind of boring. But it was still preferable to what Florida does now: yellow stickers, EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Starting from the year before I moved here, the sticker colors in North Carolina have been as follows:

2005: blue
2006: red
2007: green
2008: blue
2009: purple
2010: green
2011: goldenrod
2012: red
2013: blue

Last year at this time, I predicted green or purple for 2014. And the winner for 2014 is: green.


Green was last used four years ago, but I'm not sure if these new stickers are the same shade of green as was used in 2010. I recall the 2010 stickers being more on the bluish side of green; the 2014 stickers are a little lighter, I think. It's subtle, but I think it's important, because the lighter shade makes the 2014 stickers look not that much different than the 2013 blue stickers from a distance. And isn't that supposed to be the reason you change the color every year, so you can easily tell from a distance whether someone has a current registration or not? Oh well. I would think an effective policy would be to alternate "warm colors" with "cool colors" each year, which is pretty much what Florida did back in the day (red/yellow in odd years, green/blue in even years).

So, the last three years, the NC DMV has stuck with traditional colors: red, blue, and green. That means next year is anyone's guess. Do we go back to red and stick with a three-year rotation? (Hope not!) Do we reintroduce purple (2009), goldenrod (2011), or something similar? Or do we introduce an entirely brand new color that has never been used before, such as orange or black? (I think black could work. Why don't they ever use black?)

8 comments:

Neal said...

Chris they have used black in 96 and 01. They used orange in 94, 99, 04, but they faded really bad in 04, so they stopped using orange. I wish they would go to the black ink on colors like other states, they are much more attractive than the white on colors. I have a Jan exp. so i renew early in Nov, just to get to see the new color every year early. The 14 is much lighter than 10, and 10 was not fully reflective like 14.

Richard Craver said...

We had a car in at the dealership that I work at with an orange Year sticker with a black "T" on it. It was a CAT-xxxx format plate/First In Flight design.
Any idea was we are looking at? My first thought was 'transportation', but they have the TP-xxxxx format.

Ann Stone said...

@ Richard C. I just bought a car about a month ago and I just got my new tags. The sticker in the left corner has the "T" instead of the year. What does it mean? I've been googling it but I can't find the answer.

Anonymous said...

The Orange Sticker with the T on it is the new way North Carolina is doing things. The sticker is a temporary until your real one arrives in the mail. It is just like the paper license you get at the DMV when you go renew your license. It is to verify your address and to cut down on people puting false info on their License or Registration. So if you go into the Plate agency and get a New tag you will get a Orange Sticker with the T on it. Then your new sticker will be sent to your house.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a car and received my first in flight tags with an orange decal with a black T. Attached was the registration and a bill for my property taxes. Do I have to pay my taxes first ib order to get the 2014 decal? The reason I ask is bc I was pulled over tonight bc the color of the decal was supposedly used three yrs ago and to a cop it looks like I'm riding around with an expired decal. Luckily he ran the plates and let me go (nevermind tje fact there was a black T and not a yr) I think the cop was just ignorant of the law he is supposed to enforce. In order to prevent this I need to know if I went to the dmv will they just give me a regular sticker bc my taxes aren't due until March.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a car and received my first in flight tags with an orange decal with a black T. Attached was the registration and a bill for my property taxes. Do I have to pay my taxes first ib order to get the 2014 decal? The reason I ask is bc I was pulled over tonight bc the color of the decal was supposedly used three yrs ago and to a cop it looks like I'm riding around with an expired decal. Luckily he ran the plates and let me go (nevermind tje fact there was a black T and not a yr) I think the cop was just ignorant of the law he is supposed to enforce. In order to prevent this I need to know if I went to the dmv will they just give me a regular sticker bc my taxes aren't due until March.

neal adkins said...

The T stickers are for new car purchases. T means Temporary, and you are issued a month decal also. You have 3 months from the date of the month decal to pay your property taxes on the vehicle. Once paid your issued a 14 year decal. The 2015 decals are white on hot pink.

Anonymous said...

This info on the orange decal stickers with a black T was so great to have!! I was totally confused about it, but this thread helped me so much to understnad what was going on!! Thanks a bunch!!