Tuesday, January 08, 2013

I've Been Everywhere...?

I'm surprised I've never checked this before. Of all the places mentioned in the classic song "I've Been Everywhere" - you know, "I've been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto...", and so on and so forth - how many have I been to?

Red means I haven't been there, green means I have. For the purposes of this exercise, driving by a city without stopping counts as "been to" as long as I got sufficiently close to the city. For cities that are located in multiple states, I usually count the first one that comes to mind; this is footnoted where it's not obvious.

First verse (12 of 23): Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow1, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador2, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla, Padilla

1I'm counting Winslow, Arizona.
2Not really sure which "Salvador" he's referring to - could be shorthand for El Salvador - but regardless, I don't think I've been to any place called Salvador.

Second verse (13 of 23): Boston, Charleston3, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston4, Texarkana, Monterey5, Ferriday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa6, Glen Rock7, Black Rock8, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee9, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devils Lake10, Crater Lake

3I've been to both South Carolina and West Virginia, multiple times.
4I'm giving Ontario the nod here over Jamaica, but either way...nope.
5Monterey, California, or Monterrey, Mexico? The Wikipedia article spells it with one 'r', implying California, so I'm going with that.
6Tallapoosa, Georgia, comes up first on a Google search. It's located just off I-20, so I'm counting it, although this is admittedly kind of a stretch. Although I have also been to Tallapoosa County, Alabama. 7Glen Rock, New Jersey, I guess? I suppose I've been as close to Glen Rock, NJ as I have to Tallapoosa, GA, but I can't count this one.
8Another questionable one. Black Rock, Connecticut (near Bridgeport) comes up first on a Google search, and I-95 grazes its boundaries according to Google Maps, so...check?
9Chicopee, Massachusetts.
10Devils Lake, North Dakota.

Third verse (10 of 22): Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville11, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack13, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico14, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena, Catalina

11Waterville, Maine.
12A classic debate: which Springfield is most famous - Illinois, Massachusetts, or Missouri? (Or the one from The Simpsons?) I've been to the one in Massachusetts, so I'm counting it.
13Hackensack, New Jersey...another oh-so-close one that I can't count in good conscience. I-80 would count, but the Turnpike does not.
14I had never heard of Jellico, Tennessee, but apparently I've been there! (Or at least driven by on I-75.)

Fourth verse (14 of 23): Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg15, Rexburg, Vicksburg, El Dorado16, Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chattanooga, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo17, Waterloo18, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City

15Ellensburg, Washington - only about 75% sure I've actually "been" there.
16I've been to El Dorado County, California...BUT, El Dorado, Arkansas comes to mind first. So, nope.
17Don't think I-90/94 comes close enough to Baraboo, Wisconsin, to count it.
18Waterloo, Iowa.

TOTAL: 49 of 91, or 53.8%. So, no, I have not been everywhere...yet.

1 comment:

James Allen said...

Yes: Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Bangor, Amarillo, Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Santa Fe, Glen Rock, Little Rock, Tennessee, Crater Lake, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Springfield, Shreveport, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Ellensburg, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City

No: Reno, Wichita, Ottawa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Baltimore, Salvador, Tocopilla, Barranquilla, Padilla, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Ferriday, Tallapoosa, Black Rock, Oskaloosa, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Ombabika, Schefferville, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Bakersfield, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena, Catalina, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, El Dorado, Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chaska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Dodge City

42/91