Thursday, January 03, 2013

Curling Recap: 1/1/13

For the last few years, our beloved Triangle Curling Club has held a one-day, two-game event on New Year's Day. And Amber and I have always missed it, because we're always out of town. Not this year! Hooray curling! Tuesday was also the first time Amber and I got to curl together since August. (And it was another noteworthy first, which I'll get to later.)

The basic idea: play two games, earn points based on how many games you won, how many ends you won, and how many points you scored (i.e. "pointspiel" format), and the team with the most total points over the two games wins. So, run up the score as best you can! But try to win the game first, of course. Winning a two-game pointspiel without winning both games isn't impossible, but it is difficult.

Career game #203: 2013 New Year's Pointspiel Game 1 - January 1, 2013
(our team: Jaun)

End........... 1234567 |TTL
---------------------------
Zwiefel....... 1202100 | 06
Jaun.......... 0010021 | 04

Well, so much for that. But the thing is, the type of people who come to a New Year's Day two-game curling event aren't your casual curlers; they're your serious curlers. (Mostly). So some of the teams, including Team Zwiefel, were pretty stacked. Our team was kind of stacked, too, but not that stacked.

Well, anyway, the other team played better, they deserved it, blah blah blah. Game two!

Career game #204: 2013 New Year's Pointspiel Game 2 - January 1, 2013
(our team: Jaun)

End........... 12345678 |TTL
----------------------------
Jaun.......... 11031102 | 09
Wallace....... 00100010 | 02

It's not that we played poorly in the first game, but we were really hitting our stride in the second game. Which, I guess that's what you'd expect from the second game of a back-to-back, along with being kind of sore the next day. And we won enough ends and scored enough points to finish the pointspiel tied for 2nd place (out of six teams). I'll take that. In fact, I actually thought the prize for 2nd place (chocolate) was better than the prize for first place (a club drinking glass, which we already have several of).

Now, I'm going to go all statistical on you. The New Year's Pointspiel was the first time I had ever curled on a Tuesday, ever. Tuesday had been the only day of the week I had never curled, so now I've curled on every day of the week. Yay! (I know this because I have a spreadsheet listing every game I've ever played. By the way, Amber has still never played on a Wednesday.)

So, how many games have I played on each day of the week, anyway? And what are my won-loss records on each day?
Friday: 69-55 (61% of all of my games have been on Friday)
Saturday: 18-11
Sunday: 20-12
Monday: 3-3
Tuesday: 1-1
Wednesday: 0-1
Thursday: 5-5

So while I've curled on every day of week, I haven't won on every day of the week.

And while I'm at it, here are my records by month:

January: 12-4
February: 15-14
March: 8-11
April: 12-12
May: 3-4
June: 11-2
July: 4-3
August: 18-8
September: 11-6
October: 7-10
November: 12-9
December: 3-5

Sure, I could analyze this, but...nah.

The "Spring" League starts on January 25, and I'll probably do one pickup game before then, too. By the way, I think I may do only one curling recap post per two games this year, because as you may have noticed, there are only so many ways you can say "we won!" or "we lost!"

No comments: