Monday, November 05, 2012

Curling Recap: 11/2/12 (also: Curling Building News)

Before I get to this week's usual Curling Recap, big news from the Triangle Curling Club. We're buying land!

The plot of land we're buying - which is contingent on successful re-zoning, among other things - is located in Durham, just north of Research Triangle Park, and well south of The Part Of Durham You Don't Want To Be In Late At Night. More specifically, it's here. It's 10 minutes from our house! Naturally, I love the location.

How are we paying for it? Well...I'm actually not sure how much financial information I'm allowed to be putting in my unofficial curling blog, and financial stuff isn't my area of expertise anyway. (Maybe in another life, I'll major in economics and work on Wall Street.) Suffice to say, the cost of the land is taken care of, and we plan to get a bank loan to cover the building costs using the land as collateral; over time, club membership fees will pay back the loan, and also cover the original cost of the land.

The goal is to open the facility before the next Winter Olympics (February 2014), but there's still a lot of work to be done. The re-zoning and legal stuff will take the longest; once all that's taken care of, the actual building contstruction won't take that long. So it'll be several months before I can start taking pictures of partially completed buildings, or anything even remotely along those lines. Regardless...this is very exciting! This would be the southernmost dedicated curling facility in the United States, but some of the clubs located at a lower latitude than us could also be looking to build.

Until then...we still have the good old Friday League:

Career game #198: 2012 Fall League - November 2, 2012
(my team: K. Jackson)

End........... 12345678 |TTL
----------------------------
Chick......... 01100003 | 05
K. Jackson.... 30011110 | 07

Two things here: for one, this was Kathy's game (our Skip). She made everything, and often difficult shots, too (raises, etc). At least one of those "ones" you see in the 4th through 7th ends could have easily been four or five points against if not for her heroics.

As for me, I thought I actually played better last week than this week. But in terms of strategy and reading the ice, I think my input was more useful this week. I was more mentally into the game than usual, and I was reading the ice better, too. (Our club painted in center lines over the summer, and when you're a sweeper, that helps a ton in terms of reading the ice.)

I'm now back up to 18-19 for 2012. I actually added a Sunday League game to my schedule, which means I have four, not three, games remaining this year. (Five, if we make a miraculous comeback and make the League Championship game.) I need to go 3-1 to finish the year above .500. Let's do this!

No comments: