Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Person County

I make kind of a big deal out of visiting as many counties as I can. But once I visit a county that first time, is there a reason for me to go back? In the case of Person County, apparently, no.


View Larger Map

My home county of Durham County shares a border with five other counties. Those other four (Wake, Orange, Chatham, Granville, Person). Wake, Orange, Chatham, and Granville, I've been to countless times. Person County, however...well, I can only remember four times in which I've gone there, ever: 1) On my way to Staunton, VA in 2006. (But not on the way back.) 2) On my way to South Boston, Virginia, for a round disc golf. (But not on the way back.) 3) On a bike ride earlier this year that started in Bahama (northern Durham County). 4) A couple of weekends ago when I went on a Sunday morning drive to fill in some gaps in my U.S. Routes Driven spreadsheet.


View Larger Map

(I just felt like documenting that drive. Documenting these things occasionally comes in handy a few years later.)

And, that's it. I can't think of any other trip to Person County, ever, even though it's, like, right there.

Why don't I go to Person County more often? Well, it's pretty simple: 1) There's nothing there, at least that I know of. There's the town of Roxboro, and...? 2) There aren't any major through roads there. There are no interstates, and the two U.S. Highways that pass through it, I rarely have a reason to take. If I'm going north towards Lynchburg, taking NC-86 and US-29 by way of Danville is a much better option than US-501 through Roxboro and South Boston. By the way, thanks to that Sunday morning drive a couple weeks ago, I've now driven every mile of U.S. Highway in Person County.

That said, it was kind of a nice drive through Person County the other day. But there are so many other places we can go. I just think it's kind of an interesting fluke that despite the many, many miles of driving we do, there's a county very close to home that I've only been to four times.

As for Marla...will she ever visit Person County? So far, she has not.

No comments: