Tuesday, May 08, 2012

LG Phone Fail

So the other day, I was doing ordinary stuff on my smartphone - a T-Mobile G2x, a.k.a. LG Optimus 2X, that I purchased four months ago - when the phone suddenly froze. No big deal, just take the battery out and reboot. This isn't the first time I've had to do that, except that this time, the phone wouldn't turn back on. A couple of hours later, I headed to the T-Mobile store, where they declared the phone dead, and ordered a free under warranty replacement to be shipped to my house the next day. The new phone arrived on time, at which point I shipped the old phone back, and began the long inconvenient process of reinstalling all of my apps, etc.

So...what the heck? This phone only lasted four months? That's terrible. LG has definitely lost some points. Fortunately, I don't think I own any other LG products. Our TVs are Samsungs, and aside from a stubborn green dot, they've been working fine. What else does LG make other than TVs and phones?

Of course, when I say "free replacement", that assumes the folks at T-Mobile won't find something with my old phone that would void the warranty. I never did anything to it that could explain its sudden demise (e.g. drowning it, or accidentally slamming your car door on it after it fell out of your pocket), so I don't know what they could find, but you never know with these things. I suspect that I take better care of my smartphone than at least 50% of all smartphone users.

The G2x generally works fine, and it's definitely faster than the G1 I used to have. However, it's also much less stable, and has been suspect to random reboots, occasional extreme slowness or unresponsivneess, and the occasional need to take out the battery and try again. (And then hope the phone turns back on.) But it was also $100 cheaper than the equivalent Samsung smartphone (the Galaxy S II), so I guess you get what you pay for. And, better for the phone to break before the warranty ran out, and during a relatively slow week at home, too. (Apparently, nobody tried to call or text me in the 22 or so hours in which I was phone-less. Not being popular has its perks!)

And no, this is not enough to sway me towards the iPhone. Android all the way. I'll just try to steer clear of LG phones next time.

2 comments:

Eran said...

Hey man, it happens. I've never recommended LG Droids, T-mob now has the Galaxy 2 and will continue to get Galaxy line droids, I highly suggest staying that way. Gluck my friend!

James Allen said...

I take full responsibility for this.

I also had to get a replacement G2X, as it was sensing phantom input in the upper right corner of the touchscreen. Weird.