Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kickball Hiatus

When Knightdale Parks and Recreation released their sports schedule for the spring, something was missing: co-ed kickball. Apparently, kickball won't be back again until the Fall. It figures, too. We were just starting to actually get good at it, and now they pull the plug on it? And how are we supposed to know that it actually will come back in the Fall, anyway?

Well...this leaves a void in "Gang Green"'s schedule for the next few months. Time to start looking at other options, I guess. For example...

Another kickball league: When it looked like the Knightdale kickball league was going under last year, I tried (well, not really) to nudge us in the direction of a different league, because there are other leagues out there. They may not be any better than the Knightdale league, but just think. A whole new group of opponents who have never seen my pitching or bunting before!

Or, we could go in a completely different direction. Among the options that were mentioned on Twitter among the various "Gang Green" teammates...

Softball: Knightdale still has a co-ed softball league, but that doesn't start until later. And, well, let's face it: I am nowhere near as good at softball as I am at kickball. Unlike kickball, softball requires using your arms, and for me, that's a problem. I can't throw a ball far (to say "I throw like a girl" is an insult to girls everywhere), and I can barely hit the ball out of the infield. And, worse yet, they don't let you bunt! I'm not all that excited about the idea of playing softball, but if that's what it comes down to...

Ultimate: I know a few people who play ultimate. It's popular among people our age (or at least a certain subset of it), and I'm sure it's great exercise. I think I'd be pretty good at it too - I can run well, and as a one-time avid disc golfer, I can throw a frisbee far and accurately. (Throwing a frisbee is a totally different mechanic than throwing a ball, and I am far better at frisbee throwing.) I'd probably enjoy it a lot...provided that I'm on a team with at least a few friends of mine. I'd never just join a random team out of the blue. Problem is, I doubt we could convert the entire team from kickball to ultimate. Is there such a thing as "co-ed ultimate"? I don't know any women who play ultimate.

Ballet: I'm not sure if this was a joke or not, but let's all have an open mind, shall we? I'm all for trying something new. (Except when it comes to food. And a few other things.)

Curling: Seriously, guys. With no kickball, that frees us up to all join the Triangle Curling Club! You know you want to.

Buffalo Wild Wings: Usually, the kickball team heads to Buffalo Wild Wings after each game. Anything preventing us from just going there anyway, game or no game? Nope. I imagine there will be some of this, at a minimum.

I pretty much just go with the flow with this sort of thing, so...you know, whatever.

4 comments:

Chris J. said...

We play co-ed Ultimate at IBM. Great game if you love non-stop running and sprinting!

Adam said...

One other thing about Knightdale co-ed softball - you have to hit opposite of your strength hand.

Adam said...

We did volleyball during the summer two years ago. We enjoyed it.

Shannon said...

I vote curling