Thursday, November 17, 2011

Jack in the Box

Back when I would regularly drive between State College and Jacksonville, I had a minor obsession with "Jack in the Box" fast food restaurants. Jack in the Box is primarily a west coast chain, but for some reason, they have a few restaurants in the Charlotte area. So, often times, I would make it a point to stop at one on my way through Charlotte. Eventually my "Jack in the Box" obsession became a "Bojangles'" obsession, but I made sure to revisit an "old friend" last time I was in the area.

I think Jack in the Box generally elicits the following response among most people: "Jack in the Box? Ewwww! I'm going to go throw up now." Is that because of the restaurant's E. coli outbreak of 1993, in which four children died? Maybe. I don't think Jack in the Box is so gross. I mean, it's fast food. What do you expect?

The best thing Jack in the Box has going for it is variety. Burgers? Obviously. Chicken strips? Yep. Tacos? Sure. Curly fries? You betcha. Breakfast sandwiches served all day? Hey, why not? I mean, this place has just about everything.

Are any of its menu items really that good? No...obviously, a chicken-dedicated restaurant will make better chicken than Jack in the Box. But their stuff is passable, and it's reasonably priced. And I'm sure this is all very unhealthy. But again...this is fast food. What do you expect? Why does Jack in the Box have such a bad reputation, anyway? I think it's undeserved. Maybe the chain actually has a good reputation out west, where people are actually familiar with the product.

I also think Jack in the Box has the best commercials out there among fast food restaurants. But we don't get them here because we do not live in a Jack in the Box market. They're basically just a "vacation novelty", for me. As in, "Hey, I just saw a commercial for Jack in the Box. I must be on vacation! Hooray!"

There's no real point to this, by the way. I just wanted to help refute the reputation that Jack in the Box is garbage. If such a reputation actually exists.

No comments: