Monday, October 24, 2011

Curling Recap: 10/21/11

(Disclaimer: Things are kind of crazy at the moment, now that we're both back to work and taking Marla to day care. So until things settle down a little, I make no promises regarding blog quality or quantity.)

The Triangle Curling Club Fall League took two Fridays off before returning last weekend. Last week was a bye week for my team, so I played on Team Scheck instead:

Career game #156: 2011 Fall League - October 21, 2011

End.......... 1234567 |TTL
--------------------------
Wright....... 0001001 | 02
Scheck....... 3220110 | 09

I've been playing Skip in the league, but since I was only a substitute in this instance, I played Second. This was my first time playing Second since the last game of the 2010 Carolina Classic, over 14 months ago. Playing Second differs from the positions I've been playing over the last year-plus (Vice and Skip) in that...

You sweep six rocks in every end. (Vices sweep four; Skips sweep none.) I hadn't even played Vice in four months, so this was the first time I had been a sweeper in any capacity since June. And as a result, my arms are kind of out of "sweeping shape". If only there was a way to call the strategy and sweep.

On most of our club teams, I think the Second is the best person to be in charge of judging the weight. He/she is sweeping six rocks per end, and is usually (but not always) more experienced than the Lead, so I think calling the weight of each shot is the Second's primary responsibility. I know people who are better, but I'm pretty good at judging the weight.

And, your shots are waaaaaay easier than the Vice's or Skip's shots. When you're a Skip on non-take-out friendly arena ice, there is usually a lot of clutter by the time your turn comes up, and you're left with some very difficult options. But when you're the Second, you have a lot of options, and you don't have to worry about strategy either, so I played well. I made more shots than usual. And the Second gets enough shot variety to keep things interesting, as opposed to the Lead who throws the same shots most of the time. I think Lead is boring. Some people really like Lead, but it's not for me.

Of course, being the Second means you don't really have much to do with the strategy, but that was fine. Being our first week of Marla day care, I was quite alright with having a game where I didn't have to think too much.

So...the game. Skip Dan (whom Amber and I have won the league championship with before) generally calls a quiet game, but he seems to always know the right time to call a take-out. We were very successful with the take-outs that we did attempt, and that made all the difference. I didn't think the ice was particularly take-out friendly, either, so I don't know how we did it. Like I said, I wasn't really paying that much attention to the strategy.

No comments: