Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Curling Recap: 9/17/10

It's the official start of the Triangle Curling Club Fall League! Yippee! As I said last week, I'm back to playing Vice (Third) this season, and I think we have a chance to go all the way.

Career game #104: Fall League Week 1 - September 17, 2010
(our team: Scheck)

End........ 12345678 |TTL
-------------------------
Scheck..... 01022211 | 09
Kato....... 20200000 | 04

This was my first game playing as a Vice-skip - of any kind - since April, so I kind of forgot some of the Vice's responsibilities. For example, it's up to the Vices from each team to come to a consensus on the score after each end. After the first end, I kind of forgot about that and just started clearing rocks away. Whoops! (For those curious - if the Vices can't agree which of two or three rocks is closest, then you measure. I don't have official numbers - I don't keep track of everything, you know - but I'd say we average one measurement every three games.)

Playing Vice rather than Skip also meant sweeping (which can be fun), not really paying attention to the strategy, and being free to concentrate strictly on my shot-making, which I thought was pretty good from the 4th end on. I was concerned about my draw weight after last week's pickup game, but I had it this time.

So...the game. The ice was tricky - as usual - which meant very few take-outs were attempted or made. Since most rocks generally followed the same line, there were also quite a few instances where one team promoted another team's rocks into the house. Mostly, that went in our favor. This was the type of game where it was imperative to get in the house early in the end, which seems to be the case in most Triangle Curling Club matches. Get in the house early, clog the guard area, and watch them hit your guards in. And that's how it's done.

That is not how it is done on dedicated ice, though. I'm getting a chance to skip in a bonspiel on dedicated ice in a few weeks, so I'll talk more about real curling strategy later. In the meantime, I'm quite content letting someone else with much more experience do the skipping for me. Now that I have a few games as Skip under my belt, I think I'm now in a better position to learn from another Skip. So, that'll be the plan this season. Act like a sponge!

No comments: