Thursday, May 27, 2010

Peanut Butter Conservation

Our marriage must be going pretty well, because this is one of the biggest disagreements Amber and I have at the moment. Is it time to throw out this jar of peanut butter?


Yes, there are still trace amounts along the edges - I think the camera angle makes it look like there's more along the edges than there is - but I don't think it's really worth the trouble. When I made our sandwiches this morning, I broke out the newer, nearly-full jar, in order to save time and effort, and produce higher quality sandwiches with thicker peanut butter. But if Amber had made the sandwiches this morning, surely, they would have been made with peanut butter from the old jar. Her argument: we paid for it, and there are people starving around the world who would gladly accept this amount of peanut butter, so who are we to throw it out when we can still get one - maybe two - sandwiches out of it, albeit with a little effort? A perfectly valid argument, yes. I guess I'm just lazy.

Either way, I'm just curious. Do most people throw out the jar at this point? Am I a bad person for suggesting that this jar has already run its course? Is Amber trying to hold on to something that just isn't there anymore? I don't contest the notion that you could make a "peanut butter sandwich" out of the remaining contents. But is it really worth the trouble, and would it even be a good sandwich?

All I know is that we're not throwing out this jar yet. I'm done with it, but Amber will use its contents, eventually. That's our compromise: I guess it wouldn't be fair to call this a "marriage conflict" after all.

1 comment:

tabbcat said...

This makes me laugh because I mistakenly kept buying giant 2 packs of peanut butter from BJ's because I kept forgetting whether we needed PB or jam. So now we have like 6 large jars. And no jam. IF YOU HAVE JAM, I WISH I HAD YOUR PROBLEM.