Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grass

Our front yard isn't much of a yard. It's mostly trees, stuff that falls from trees, and bushes. There isn't a whole lot in the way of "grass". Personally, I don't really care so much. Amber, on the other hand...she wants grass, darn it! And she's determined to make it happen.


Amber's done the necessary work, which I guess means planting the seeds and regular watering - she's the lawn expert, not me. Apparently, some of our the neighbors have tried this in the past, and failed. Not enough sunlight and too much tree junk, I guess. But where others have failed, Amber will succeed!

But here's something we've never really had to think about before. Tuesday afternoon, Amber turned on a recently bought sprinkler and started watering our future lawn. That got me thinking: "Hmm...doesn't Durham have some kind of restrictions regarding when you can water your lawn and when you can't?" Yep, they sure do: we're only allowed to water our future lawn on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, and only before 10:00 AM or after 6:00 PM. So, Amber was breaking a city ordinance by watering our future lawn at 4:30 PM on a Tuesday. She had no idea, of course. Being the responsible citizen that I am, I immediately ran outside and told her. I guess water restrictions aren't really commonplace in a place like Toledo where there's this huge lake right over there. But here in the South, we have hot weather and occasional water shortages. Woo! "But to start a lawn, you're supposed to water every day," Amber says. Not in the South, you don't.

I think the deck is stacked against us, but if anyone can get grass to grow in our front yard, Amber can.

1 comment:

Spartangoogle said...

We can water on Wednesday or Saturday (since we have an odd house number) during the same times as you. During the "winter" it is just once a week. New lawns and golf courses (!) are exempt.
It is not enforced. I water about once a week on Saturdays if we've had no rain (usually the case in April,May). But suppose it is supposed to rain on Sunday - do I not water because I trust the meteorologists (!?) or water just in case? Does this really waste water in the long run and defeat the purpose of the restrictions? (Sunday's promised rain never came)