Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Disc Golf: The Return

Let's do a quick recap of the Chris Allen history of disc golf:
- Spring 2004: Chris is introduced to the game. Upon realizing that disc golf is a fun, cheap, competitive way to spend a couple of hours outside with his friends, Chris decides he should do this more often.
- Summer 2004 through Summer 2009: Chris plays 4,568 holes of disc golf at 62 different courses from Gainesville to Grand Forks.
- Fall 2009: Chris decides that disc golf has finally run its course as an enjoyable solo activity and starts bicycling more often instead.

And that brings us to today. It's been six months since my last round of disc golf. I've long taken my discs out of my car (I used to keep them in the back seat all the time), and I even considered taking the disc golf statistics spreadsheet offline. Then, Keith came up to visit from Jacksonville, and my interest in disc golf was reborn again...at least for a couple of days.

So, yeah. I'll keep this short, since I don't do a very good job of making disc golf sound interesting. My overall take on disc golf remains: I no longer like it enough to play by myself, but will play with friends. Last weekend showed that I don't need to play all that often in order to have a halfway decent game. My disc golf skill has deteoriated a lot in the last 12 months, but if I don't play all that often and only do it as something to do outdoors with other people, does it really matter how good I am at it? Nope! In fact, I'm more likely to enjoy the game if I've already conceded the fact that I'm never going to be good at it anymore.

How long before my next game of disc golf? Who knows?

No comments: