Monday, March 08, 2010

Cracker Barrel Breakfast

When Amber came back from India on our Sunday, we continued our tradition of going straight from the airport to Cracker Barrel. Although actually, Amber wasn't craving good old American cuisine as I thought she would; she said she actually had an easier time with the food in India than she did the seafood-heavy diet of Cagliari, Italy.

The only time we ever go to Cracker Barrel is for dinner, but this time, since her plane landed in the morning, we went for "brunch". I've gone to Cracker Barrel quite a bit over the years (12 times since June 2004), but have never tried their breakfast food, even though they serve breakfast all day. Let's try it out!

I have to say, I was impressed. Granted, I only had eggs, sausage, and french toast, but it was very good. Now...eggs are eggs, but both the sausage and french toast tasted a little different than what you'll normally find at a breakfast joint, and in a good way. The sausage was "smoked" sausage, and the french toast was sourdough, I think. Yum! Superb breakfast. Now I can see why Cracker Barrel always has a larger crowd for breakfast than for dinner. I can't, however, put it in the same category of the legendary Waffle Shop (of State College, PA), not after just one visit.

Speaking of Waffle Shop...we will be in State College for a wedding in a couple of weeks, but we're actually staying 80 miles west in Brookville, so I'm not sure if we'll be making the obligatory Waffle Shop stop this time. We'll see.

No comments: