Thursday, July 19, 2007

"The Swimming Pool"

Skip to the random thought

I remember back when I was a kid, I loved the swimming pool. The golf course (err, "country club") down the street had one, and we went there a lot before they made the pool public. It was pretty sweet. And on family vacations, my parents would often make sure our hotels had a pool. Good times.

Now, I live in an apartment complex with a pool. And, I think I've only been a handful of times (four?) in the year-plus I've lived here. And when Amber and I do go, we don't stay long. I guess it's hard to get excited about the pool anymore. You get in, you swim a little bit, and then you get bored. What happened? How could we spend hours in a pool when we were kids, and barely be able to spend 15 minutes in one now?

Well, here's the biggest difference. Kids have cool stuff to play with. Diving sticks, balls, floaties, you name it. When you're a kid, you can spend hours with that stuff. When you're an adult, it looks kind of silly when you're playing with anything in the pool, outside of lying on a raft or tube something. And even if I were in the privacy of my own backyard, I still wouldn't get that excited about a pool that's only four feet deep. The pool we used to go to had a 12-foot deep end. We truly were spoiled. Kids don't even need toys, really. But a bunch of kids together, and they can keep themselves entertained in a pool, no problem.

For adults (without children), the swimming pool serves three purposes: relaxation, tanning, and exercise. It's nice place to go lie down outside and read a book. It's also a place where tanning is accepted. (As opposed to just lying out on your front lawn, for instance.) And, swimming is good exercise. But that's about it. It's not "play time" anymore.

That said, I think I could still find some fun with the ocean. The ocean has waves (sometimes), and that makes things interesting. I've always had more fun swimming at the beach than swimming in a pool. Unfortunately, now, the ocean is now over two hours away. Oh well. Maybe we'll go to the beach upon our next Jacksonville visit.

Last Year: "Fuquay-Varina, NC". What's my obsession with Fuquay-Varina about, anyway? Well, it's an interesting place name, and it still has a small-town feel, at least for now. In 20 years, it might just be another Cary. Let's hope not.

Tomorrow: "Harry Potter: The IMAX Experience". I can't say I ever anticipated writing a post about Harry Potter. Oh well.

Today's random thought:

- I've come to the realization that everything is more expensive in Cary. Maybe that's why everything seems so cheap at Kroger - Kroger is in Apex, not Cary.

No comments: