Monday, July 02, 2007

"Move Over, Northwestern"

Skip to the random thought

Other than NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, I've been playing more NCAA Football 2004 than any other game. Yeah, the game's old, but I have NCAA Football 2006, and I don't like how they "arcaded" up the game. So, I went back to 2004, and started a "dynasty" with the Ohio Bobcats, because that's Amber's alma mater, and it's as good an obscure school to take to the top as any. The most fun thing about college sports games is the ability to take a team that sucks and make them good. At first, the team sucks. But because you have the game difficulty set to where you can win consistently, but not win every game, you will get progressively better. The better you do, the more talented your recruits. The better your players, the better you'll do. And, so on. Eventually, I felt I could win Ohio University a national championship. A team from the MAC would never win the national championship in real life, but in the world of video games, it's possible. You just have to go undefeated, and hope the BCS schools beat each other up.

Well, in my 3rd season as Ohio, I got lucky. My first two seasons were good enough to increase my "prestige" (which affects recruiting), but there was still a lot of room left at the top. In season 1, I went 9-3, and didn't even play in the MAC Championship game. And because the MAC only has two automatic bowl bids, I didn't even get to play in a bowl game. In season 2, I went 10-3, with a loss in the MAC championship to the Bruce Gradkowski-led Toledo Rockets (powerhouse!), and a win in the GMAC Bowl against...I forget. It might have been Louisville (then still in Conference USA). It doesn't matter. So, heading into season 3, I had high expectations. I landed some awesome recruits - a really fast wide receiver, a really fast cornerback, and a quarterback who can actually pass and run. Could I be stopped? Surely. You never know when the computer's going to decide to make the other team really, really good. (Chances are, though, it's not going to happen when you're playing Buffalo.) Due to my cupcake schedule, I figured that even if I went undefeated, my best hope would be a non-championship BCS game, ala Boise State. But like I said, I got lucky, and I was only one of two undefeated teams. And I guess the computer AI thought I was the 2nd-best team in the country. Sweet! My reward - a date in the Rose Bowl (the championship game) against Oklahoma, that other "OU". They shouldn't even call themselves OU. Their official name is clearly "The University of Oklahoma". Amber, being an Ohio University grad, doesn't appreciate that she can't refer to her alma mater by initials alone. Even just "Ohio" isn't sufficient, because Ohio plays second fiddle to Ohio State in that state. So, maybe by winning this game, I can rightfully take the OU designation back to Ohio. And maybe I can take down Ohio State later on down the road.

I didn't expect to actually win the game. But, the computer was nice to me and gave me two "luck" touchdowns (a kickoff fumble return, and a end-of-half hail mary), so I won the game and the national championship. So, now what? I almost didn't want to win that game. Now there's nothing left to be had. So, I was considering jumping ship to another team - I could always go back to South Florida, just like the old days. But then, after the game, I got the following message:

"The Big Ten Conference has extended your school an invitation to join, replacing Northwestern. Do you accept the invitation?" Hell yeah! I got Ohio University in the Big Ten! I didn't even know that was possible in this game! Wahoo! Now, I'm definitely staying with Ohio for at least one more season, and I even get to begin my Big Ten schedule with a game against my cross-state rival, Ohio State. And I also get to go to Beaver Stadium and play Penn State. Now that's what I'm talking about. Meanwhile, Northwestern has been demoted to the MAC. I'm curious to see how they do. They may never be heard from again. Maybe after I'm done with Ohio, I can take the Northwestern job and try to get them back in the Big Ten. Hmm...now there's an idea.

Last Year: "Interstate 68". Yeah, I like talking about roads. I miss Interstate 68. It's one of my favorites.

Tomorrow: "In The Absence Of Curling". Tuesday was going to be my "curling recap" post, but last Friday night's curling was cancelled. So, what did we do instead?

Today's random thought:

- It always seems like in movies (especially dramatic movies), they never say "bye" at the end of phone conversations. It's always "meet you at the corner", (click). I guess it's more dramatic that way, but it's not very realistic.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Completely random comment: Remember your post on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel? Well, according to the Travel Channel, the bridges were constructed as part bridge and part tunnel to prevent opposing forces from knocking down the bridge and marooning the Navy fleet near Norfolk during a time of war.

Chris Allen said...

Sweet! I'll have to look for that Travel Channel special.

If all of this means anything, it means Norfolk is great for the Navy, but rather inconvenient for everyone else.

Jeff said...

I think it was "Top 10 Bridges" or something like that. I was able to guess what #1 was....

Chris Allen said...

Golden Gate Bridge? That's my guess. Although I've always been partial to the New River Gorge bridge on US-19. Somehow, I doubt that made the list.

Jeff said...

Golden Gate is right on. The New River Gorge bridge didn't make it, but the Sunshine Skyway did, and that is US 19, although most folks don't know that...