Monday, June 04, 2007

"Bye Bye, Hair"

My last haircut was December 29th, 2005. (There was a minor trim this most recent December, but it was barely noticeable.) Since my last haircut, my hair has grown to gargantuan porportions (for the most part). And now, it's just getting in the way. When I shave, I get shaving cream in my hair. When I sleep, my fan blows my hair across my face. Hats aren't as comfortable as they used to. And, my showers take longer. Why do I need long hair, anyway? It is perfectly acceptable (and usually encouraged) for people of the male gender to have short hair. I was just growing it out knowing that I'll be bald one day, and when that happens, I may wish I had grown my hair out.

Well, after 1½ years of unabated hair growth, I decided I had enough. So, I went to the Morrisville Barber Shop after work last Thursday, and off it came. (Not all of it.) Now I'm back to looking like the "old Chris" (except without the goatee, which is never coming back, I assure you). Except now, my "bald line" has retreated farther back than I remember. It wasn't as noticable when I had a "quasi-combover". (It's kind of like the opposite of that "Seinfeld" episode when the shaved-bald guy tried to grow his hair back, only to discover he had gone bald.) And, my face looks skinnier than I remember, so I guess I've lost a lot of weight since December 2005.

Now, a quick word about barber shops. Back in Jacksonville, I used to go to this place called the Arlington Barber Shop, which has been owned and operated by this old guy for over 50 years. Haircuts were cheap ($7), and professionally done. That's the kind of place I was looking for here. A web search led me to the Morrisville Barber Shop, which is located in the "old" part of Morrisville, so I figured it might have some promise. Ding! It was an old guy in a little house who has cut hair for over 50 years. Jackpot! I much prefer places like this to your Great Clips and Supercuts places. They're cheaper, and they do a better job. Great Clips and Supercuts probably get you in and out faster, but they're more expensive, and their barbers aren't as good or experienced as the old guys.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures, but just use your imagination. If you've seen me in the last month or two, you know I've had long almost-shoulder-length hair. Now, all of my hair is less than a half-inch long, just like I used to cut it. When you make a change this drastic people notice. Everybody notices, and of course, everybody says something. And it's always a compliment, of course. My hair probably didn't look that good before. When somebody with a rapidly ascending hair line tries to grow long hair, there are going to be some gaps. And, I didn't take much care to make the hair look presentable. I never combed it, brushed it, or applied any kind of care to it other than shampoo and conditioner. But I didn't want to exert any effort. That wasn't the point. The point was just to do it. And now that I've done it, I won't have to wonder what it's like to have long hair when I'm unable to grow it 20 years from now.

But, where do I go from here? When will I get my next haircut? Will it be another 1½ years from now? It probably won't be that long, but I'm going to try to go at least 12 months. My hair won't grow in as well this time, so it's probably going to look even worse, but oh well. I don't really care what my hair looks like. (And, for the record, Amber doesn't care either. I've given her the right to care what my hair looks like, but she's declined.) Really, I just want my hair out of my face, and I want to make as few trips to the barber shop as possible.

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Why have you permanently given up on the goatee?

Walter said...

Thank God!

Chris Allen said...

It's not so much that I gave up on the goatee. The goatee gave up on me.