Monday, May 14, 2007

"An Open Solicitation"

Skip to the random thought

In case you haven't noticed, I've been running dry on blog post ideas lately. And, I'll be quite busy all of next weekend, so I won't have much time to write posts anyway. So I'm going to put this out there. Would any of you like to write a blog post to appear in my blog next Tuesday? (There won't be posts on Saturday or next Monday, because Amber's soon-to-be-vacated apartment may not have internet access those days.)

Here are the ground rules for the "guest post":

1) This is open to everybody. Don't be shy.
2) There are no length requirements, except that you use common sense. (In other words, I won't publish your 200-page autobiography.)
3) It's up to you whether or not you want to include a random thought.
4) You can write about anything you want. But, there are some exceptions:
4a) No profanity. In terms of this blog, "profanity" means anything you can't say on The Simpsons.
4b) No hate speech. Don't offend any ethnic, racial, religious, or social groups. (By "social groups", I basically mean homosexuals.) However, you are more than welcome to offend individual people, including me. If you want to write a five-paragraph essay about how much my blog sucks, I suck, and how I should rot in hell, then more power to you.
4c) No "spam". I'm not talking about putting in a plug for your personal website or something - that's fine, provided you're not just some random person I don't know looking for free advertising. I'm just trying to keep the spammers out.

I have no idea how much interest this will garner; how many guest posts I feature in the future will depend on how much interest there is. If there's a lot of interest, then I'll weave all of your posts in eventually, not just next Tuesday. If there's no interest, well, then at least I thought it was a good idea. Post a comment if you're interested, and we'll go from there.

Today's random thought:

- Amber's undergraduate diploma, currently in my bedroom, says her degree was "given in the 201st year of the university". Ohio University was founded in 1804, and she received her degree in 2005. My question is this: If 1804 was the university's first year, shouldn't 2005 have been the 202nd year of the university?

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Sure, I'll go for a guest blog entry.

Regarding the random thought, it depends on whether they are going by calendar years or academic years, right?

Walter said...

Ah, but you forget that the school year spans two calendar years, so that the first year would be 1804-1805.

Chris Allen said...

Yeah, I guess that would explain it.