Wednesday, May 23, 2007

"Nights By County: Mid-2007 Update"

Skip to the random thoughts on the "24" season finale (Spoilers!)

Before I talk about last weekend (I haven't written those posts yet), it's time for everybody's favorite statistic - nights by county! The 2006 nights-by-county competition went down to the wire, with Wake County (NC) and Centre County (PA) finishing in a tie for first, each with 165 nights. How about this year? After the 2006 recap, I said I wouldn't talk about this at all until early July. Well, I lied. But there's a reason I'm doing this update now.

First off, here are my 2007 totals to date:
Wake NC - 120
Centre PA - 13
Westmorland NB - 2
Halifax NS - 2
Lucas OH - 1
Cumberland ME - 1
Aroostook ME - 1
Queens PE - 1
Cape Breton NS - 1

Clearly, the 2007 competition won't be as close as the 2006 competition. The only question is how soon Wake will clinch the 2007 championship. Right now, Wake can clinch the championship as early as July 20th. That date will be delayed by one day for each night I spend in Centre, or for every two nights I spend in any other county. There may be a trip to State College before then, and probably a trip to Jacksonville as well (something I haven't done since Christmas, and is probably long overdue), but I fully expect Wake to clinch the championship before the end of July.

Now, I also said I was going to keep track of Amber's nights by county for 2007, because it might be as interesting as my competition was last year. At the time, I didn't know when she was going to move out of State College. If the move wasn't going to happen until the middle of the year, then that would make the competition interesting. But a mid-May move probably takes all of the suspense out of it. First off, here are her current 2007 totals:

Centre PA - 114
Wake NC - 12
Lucas OH - 6
District of Columbia - 2
Westmorland NB - 2
Halifax NS - 2
Cumberland ME - 1
Aroostook ME - 1
Queens PE - 1
Cape Breton NS - 1

Now that Wake is Amber's residence, it's only a matter of time before Wake passes Centre for first place. There is plenty of time; there are still 223 nights left in 2007, and Wake is only 102 behind. For Amber, Wake can clinch with a total of 175 nights. (For me, Wake currently needs 179 nights, because I haven't spent as many nights outside of the top two counties as Amber has.) Thus, Wake could clinch as soon as 163 nights from now, which is the night of November 1st. As with me, any nights spent outside of Wake between now and then will delay the clinching date, but the chances of any other county winning are very slim. I expect Wake to clinch before the end of November.

For the future - how many years will it be before someone other than Wake County wins? Well, the next move will dictate that. If we move to, say, Fuquay-Varina, then Wake County will tighten is grasp for years to come, as Fuquay-Varina is still in Wake County. But there are lots of housing possibilities around here. Durham County? Orange County? Chatham County? All are possibilities. But by then, I may not even be doing this blog anymore. If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it...

Today's random thoughts on the "24" season finale: (Spoilers! Obviously.)

- What did I think of the season finale? Well, I wasn't impressed. All of the predictable things happened - Josh and Marilyn were reunited, and the "component" was destroyed. And, there were no major surprises or plot twists in the finale whatsoever. The biggest surprise in the finale was finding out that Chloe was pregnant. Whoopee. And, it took the finale 30 minutes to finally get going. And, how could they have possibly expected Phillip to go through with the exchange? How dumb. And, I would have much rather seen Jack's father live and Chang die, but instead it was the other way around. So, really, I thought the finale sucked. The season as a whole has endured a lot of criticism; I didn't think the season as a whole is that bad, but it could have been a lot better. This season's problem was that it peaked too soon. The best episodes and most exciting and suspenseful sequences were in the first half of the day.
- Now, what to expect from some of the characters in the future? It was nice to see Bill Buchanan again, but I think he's done, except maybe for a cameo next season, because the writers always seem to do that. Have we seen the last of Audrey? Maybe, maybe not. All CTU characters (including Chloe) don't have to come back without an explanation, and they change every season, so whatever. I don't really know who's going to show up again next season, other than Jack, of course. Speaking of which, I'm glad Jack didn't get kidnapped or have to fake his death again, because he deserved a break. But that "ending" was lame, at best. I also knew Audrey would make an appearance in the season finale beforehand, because Kim Raver's name appeared in the opening credits. Why did they do that? Maybe I should stop reading the credits. But I can't help it.
- So, I've been quite critical of "24". Will I be back next season? Of course I will. But the show could lose me next season, depending. There's only so much you can do with this format and the plot. Kiefer Sutherland has two seasons left on his contract, plus a movie. If I were the producers, I would end the series there. Then again, I also thought "The Simpsons" would wrap up after Season 11 in 2000. Man, I whiffed on that one.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

There;s also a chance that the writers could dump CTU altogether.

Speaking of the Simpsons, do you have any idea what was dubbed over in the season finale Sunday night?

Chris Allen said...

I didn't see the Simpsons finale, sadly.